“Emergence” is the name of this painting I did almost two years ago. I don’t say finished because I’ve learned that there’s a big difference between ‘done being painted’ and ‘ready to hang’. And “Emergence” isn’t ready to hang. It’s been leaning in a closet, still stapled to the drawing board I used when I painted it.
It was a mistake to staple it, and even more so to paint over the staples and varnish it all. Because in order to get it ‘ready to hang’ I had to take it off the drawing board and take the staples out, which left little white tears around the entire painted border.
The solution was to trim 1/2 inch from each edge. This painting was a particular challenge for me and the idea of slicing it up with a utility knife was a totally unnerving but it had to be done. Yesterday I carefully marked the cut lines on the back and today I set up my table to cut it. I put down some cardboard and made sure I had a new blade in my knife. Then I clamped a big heavy ruler down and cut those edges right off.
I had to turn it around, clamp and cut it a few times but this method worked pretty well and I was able to do it with nice clean cuts and straight edges. I had been concerned that I might damage it during the process but thankfully it seems to have made it through unscathed and is now ready to be framed and made ready to hang. It’s a good thing too, because this painting has been selected for display in an upcoming show called On and About Paper at the UW Parkside Fine Arts Gallery September 6 – October 26 with an opening reception Thursday, September 14 from 5-7 pm.
It will be really great to finally have this piece ‘finished’ and I’m very excited to know that it will be on display to the public soon!